Friday, April 08, 2011

I'm in Malaysia Book of Records, don play play^^

Tataz to carefree March and hello frantic April! Despite my theoretically-stuffed-agenda, I managed to slot in UUM Ponggal Fest on this morning =) [okay la, I sort of backed up last nite. But, I don't make empty promises!!]

My tender-age roomie+me in Punjabi-suit+stunning Veron

My fantasies about Ponggal Fest:
A long list of Hindu rituals dominated by fellow Indians coupled with several traditional performances.

The Reality-checks:
1) Hindu Rituals
There was.
Hazy Tapak Ekspo

But was cut to the minimal. The only ritual we did was cooking some mixture of sweet rice with raisins, i.e. Pongal, (kind of reminds me of Nando's) in a brand new ceramic pot using milk until they were boiled over. ON FIREWOOD not gas stove! And it's a way to praise the God (stand to be corrected). And for someone who yet to know how to cook, I truly enjoyed the ride to make fire & looking for ways to get the Pongal boiled over! The keywords were PATIENCE & HEAT!


Ponggal Ponggal!
2) Dominated by Fellow Indians
Indeed it is. But rest assured, Chinese was abundant. Some Malays were spotted too (And I'm sure they are not less religious). The 1Malaysia spirit was certainly there!

3) Traditional Performances
J'adore! But sadly I didn't see any during my presence there.

4) Hannah
We had our 1st hannahs as well! We were told that this is usually done on the bride during Indian Wedding Feast and it can last for 1 week!


They r super duper chun! Feel like showing off to the whole world.
(Damn, I looked fat...or I am fat?)

Ponggal Fest Aftermath: (i like the word "aftermath" alot!)
No remorse spending my entire morning under the sizzling hot sun. Greatest appreciation to Veron for bringing me along (though she's the one who BENEFITED the best...hehehe)and Shalini for helping me with the suit! And most important of all, my name is now on the Malaysia Book of Records!! (cooking the most Ponggal in Malaysia i guess) All the sweats r worthwhile and I think I'm now eligible to take part in the next season Survivor Show!

No comments: